|HISTORY OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH|
MADISON, NORTH CAROLINA
November 6, 1841 to November 5, 2006
The Madison Missionary Baptist Church was organized November 6, 1841, with 5 charter members, 4 of whom probably were: Milton Stamps, John M. New, Joshua Wall, and John M. Lindsay. It is believed that Elias Dodson, the incomparable itinerant preacher, had the greatest influence in the establishment of our church. He was a Home Missionary in North Carolina at that time and helped establish many churches. In the beginning, they met in Baughn’s School House (a log school) near Joshua Wall’s in Dan Valley close to the Camp Meeting Grounds near Mayo Falls. For many years afterwards the Baptists shared with the Methodists and Presbyterians a log schoolhouse located in a large grove of giant oak trees at the east end of what is today Academy Street. This building had been in use since before 1800 for Camp Meetings and for Revivals, as well as for school and church foundations.
The history of Madison was greatly influenced by another prominent Baptist leader, Lewis Hall Shuck, the son of one of the very first Southern Baptist missionaries to China, J. Lewis Shuck and Henrietta Hall Shuck. As pastor and as head of “Beulah Male Academy” he exerted far reaching influence. His wife and child died, and they are buried in the church graveyard. He was pastor here 1860-1863.
. The history of First Baptist Church of Madison is continued.
Click here for the rest of the story .
|A church home for all people.
||To learn more about Baptist history:
||The Baptist Historical and Heritage Society
||Center for Baptist Studies at Mercer
||Baptist World Alliance: Heritage and Identity Commission
||For more information about the history and current mission of First Baptist Church
||Rev. Chuck McGathy